I know, it seems like such a basic technique but do not underestimate the value of this move. Even more, if you're a coach or instructor, do not underestimate the value of teaching this to your students. THIS POSITION IS NOT INTUITIVE! Give your students and teammates the basic tools to understand positions and build a solid grappling base.
Things to note:
- pop the head out on either side
- Gable Grip the nearest leg (named after legend Dan Gable)
- pull knee to chest to prevent uke from sprawling
- outside leg steps up, head postures up
- spin behind and keep pressure on uke to keep them down