When people think about Judo they usually think about Uchi Mata. It is a spectacular throw that seems to come out nowhere when you're watching competition. In this video you'll learn the steps that we like to go through when we learn the basics of this throw.
Things to watch for:
- planting should be at top of the triangle (for position & balance)
- sleeve hand should be high (cue: look at your watch)
- lapel hand should serve as a frame to turn uke's chest
- tori should have a tall posture for most of the throw (cue: be the fork, not the spaghetti)
- throw at a 45 degree angle instead of straight forward
See the Kodokan demonstration of Uchi Mata (内股) here: